Wednesday 21 April 2010

The paperless kitchen challenge continues!


Hi, Rachel here! Just thought I'd pop in with a quick update of how I'm doing with our paperless kitchen challenge. The good news is that it's going really well and it's actually been really easy too, much easier that I expected, if I'm honest! We have been using our homemade fabric napkins and the muslin "quick-clean-up" cloths on a daily basis. And I have been remembering to use an old sheet of newspaper for veg peelings. I do still occasionally use a sheet of paper towel, and I still need to train the hubby (!) but it's very noticable that a roll is now lasting several weeks instead of one!


I also wanted to mention a couple of other items I have started using in the kitchen. I recently invested in a couple of sets of silicon cupcake cases. I do quite a lot of baking and, with kids in the house, cupcakes get made on quite a regular basis, so I thought I would give these a try. They fit into a standard size bun tin, the cakes cooked exactly the same and they came out of the cases very easily. The only downside is the extra washing they create! Apparently they are dishwasher safe, but I don't have one, so have to wash them by hand and they do need a little bit of attention to make sure all the crumbs are out of the creases. Apart from that though, top marks! No more paper cake cases for me!
I also use a Magic Non-Stick Liner on baking trays when making cookies or meringues instead of greaseproof paper. It's like a specially treated fabric that is washable and re-usable - it's supposed to last up to 5 years and, again, I've been really pleased with how it performs. I've actually just noticed on the Lakeland website that you can also buy this in precut circles for sponge tins too.
Now, I will admit that I have no idea exactly how "green" these products are in terms of the materials used to make them and the manufacturing processes, but they have certainly helped to further reduce the amount of paper going into our rubbish bins, and that has to be a good thing, right?
Do keep a look out for our next post as we have something exciting planned!


Take care
R x

2 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Well done! Those of us old enough to remember the time when paper kitchen roll hadn't been invented and even toilet rolls were a bit of a novelty (anyone else remember Bronco square packs or squares of newspaper?!) admire your efforts. Do you have a compost bin because if so the paper can go in there especially your newspaper wrapped veggie peelings.

Keep up the good work.

Jane

Serenata said...

I've got a couple of silicon cake cases, but found them quite difficult to wash...a question, what is more green - using more water, dishwasher liquid and heat/gas or electric to wash all the individual cake cases, or the paper cases that can be put in the composite - albeit that they take a while to break down? Wondering, as I reverted back to paper cake cases - admittedly for ease of use, but you've got me thinking on this one.